What is HealthPro Start?
HealthPro Start is a unique program leading to a professional degree in one of nine areas:
- Anatomic Pathologists' Assistant
- Clinical Laboratory Science
- Mortuary Science
- Occupational Therapy
- Pharmaceutical Science
- Physical Therapy
- Radiation Therapy Technology
- Radiologic Technology
Incoming freshmen accepted to HealthPro Start are guaranteed admission to their program of choice in the Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences as long as the continuation criteria are met.
HealthPro Start trains innovators and critical thinkers, nurturing future leaders by treating students as part of the pharmacy and health science communities. The program emphasizes mentoring and research opportunities for each student and provides immediate and ongoing contact with program faculty and students. HealthPro Start undergraduates are also Honors students.
Minimum requirements for application
- Indication of a 3.75 or higher grade-point average
- Submission of an ACT score of 27 or higher
- Description and explanation of the amount of time and experience related to activity in:
- health care (interviews with a health professional in the selected program or shadowing, volunteer, or work experience)
- community service
- team activities (athletics, debate, etc.)
- summer activities
- high school extracurricular activities
- Submission of a one-page typed essay describing why you are pursuing HealthPro Start and why you should be accepted
- Submission of two letters of recommendation:
- one from a high school teacher, counselor or administrator familiar with your extracurricular activities, team and/or leadership skills
- one from a member of the community (may not be a family member or from your high school) who can address your health care experience, service and/or employment
Students with an outstanding record of achievement who meet the minimum requirements and complete a separate HealthPro Start application will be considered for an invitation to campus and a series of interviews with representatives from the Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences and the Honors College.
Your application package to Honors must include
- admission to Wayne State University by November 16 (apply online at admissions.wayne.edu)
- a completed HealthPro Start application (download at honors.wayne.edu)
- a high school transcript
- an ACT score of 27 or higher
- a 3.75 or higher grade-point average
- details of honors received in high school
- a one-page essay detailing how you became interested in and why you should be admitted to the program
- a description and explanation of experiences as listed under minimum requirements
- letters of recommendation as listed under minimum requirements
- Good standing and active membership in the Honors College
- Completion of HON 1000, Honors section of P S 1010, HON 3000 Service-Learning, and an HON 42XX Seminar
- Demonstration of continuing volunteer work related to pharmacy or health science
- Maintenance of a 3.30 or higher grade-point average for the first year and a 3.50 or higher thereafter
- Maintenance of a 3.0 or higher grade-point average in biology, chemistry, math and physics courses
- Completion of the prerequisite coursework for the desired program
- Participation in HealthPro Start seminars
- Submission of a monthly journal of HealthPro Start experiences
Graduation with a PharmD with Honors distinction
In order for HealthPro Start students to graduate with a PharmD with Honors distinction, they must maintain a 3.3 or higher grade-point average at the Eugene Applebaum College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (EACPHS) and complete two credit hours of directed study [electives: PPR 5990, PPR 7990, PSC 5990, or PSC 5992] following their first and second years of study.
EACPHS's research day during the fourth year of the PharmD program will be the venue for oral or poster presentations as an outcome from the elective coursework. This elective coursework will serve as the Honors Thesis for HealthPro Start students. Students completing these requirements will have the Honors designation added for their PharmD diplomas.
Submit all items by March 1 to:
For more details about HealthPro Start, visit honors.wayne.edu or call Honors at (313) 577-3030.