An innovative B.S./B.A to M.D. program at Wayne State University
Wayne Med-Direct (Wayne M.D.) is a unique program that guarantees admission to Wayne State’s School of Medicine and Irvin D. Reid Honors College for 10 students each year. Wayne M.D. emphasizes mentoring and research by giving participants the opportunity to become part of the School of Medicine community during their undergraduate studies, leading to M.D. or combined M.D./Ph.D. degree programs at WSU.
Wayne State University will evaluate candidates through a holistic admission process. To be eligible for the program, you must:
- Have a minimum 3.5 GPA and 1340 SAT or 30 ACT score
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Be an incoming freshman
Preference will be given to students from disadvantaged socioeconomic backgrounds who are also interested in studying health disparities.
- Admission to WSU’s Honors College and College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Guaranteed admission to the WSU School of Medicine upon satisfaction of the eligibility requirements, as well as successful completion of the B.A. or B.S. degree and MCAT
- Four years of paid undergraduate tuition
- Four years of paid School of Medicine tuition*
- Four years of paid undergraduate room and board costs in university housing
- Cutting-edge research and field experiences with renowned faculty mentors
- Participation in summer enrichment courses
- Participation in specially designed curricular enhancements such as seminars, workshops and hands-on clinical training in the School of Medicine
- Free MCAT and GRE preparation
- Travel to relevant research conferences and symposia
*Subject to the School of Medicine's holistic admission process
- Due by December 1, 2016:
- Complete the university undergraduate admission application (information about applying to Wayne State University for undergraduate admission is available at http://wayne.edu/admissions/undergrad/)
- Submission of official high school transcripts
- Submission of official SAT or ACT scores (only composite scores will be required for the Wayne Med-Direct Program)
- Completion of the 2017-18 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) using WSU code 002329
- Additional requirements due by January 1, 2017:
- Complete the Wayne Med-Direct Application Form
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- Two must be from teachers
- One must be from a community member not affiliated with the student’s high school
- A Personal Statement (the topic for the statement will be available on the application form)
Apply for admission to Wayne State using the university application and submit the additional Wayne Med-Direct application.
When applying through the Common App, applicants should receive a temporary username and password from admissions that will allow them to log in to Wayne State's application site. Once logged in, applicants will be taken to his/her AppStatus page, which shows the items still needed for submission for the general application, as well as an option to express interest in the Wayne Med-Direct program. Once interest is expressed, additional items that need to be uploaded will be generated and added to the checklist.
The Wayne Med-Direct application cannot be accessed through the Common App; students must apply via the WSU Freshmen Application and choose Wayne Med-Direct as a supplementary application near the end of the application.
Applicants must insure that official transcripts, test scores, letters of recommendation and all application documents are received by the due date. Applications received after the deadline will be considered ineligible for admission into the program.
If you have any further questions, please email email@example.com.
The Wayne Med-Direct program is administered collaboratively through Wayne State University’s Graduate School, Irvin D. Reid Honors College, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, and School of Medicine.