An innovative B.S./B.A to M.D. program at Wayne State University
Wayne Med-Direct (Wayne M.D.) is a unique program that guarantees admission to Wayne State’s School of Medicine and Irvin D. Reid Honors College for 10 students each year. Wayne M.D. emphasizes mentoring and research by giving participants the opportunity to become part of the School of Medicine community during their undergraduate studies, leading to M.D. or combined M.D./Ph.D. degree programs at WSU.
Wayne State University will evaluate candidates through a holistic admission process. To be eligible for the program, you must:
- Have a minimum 3.5 GPA and 1340 SAT or 30 ACT score
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Be an incoming freshman
Preference will be given to students from disadvantaged socioeconomic backgrounds who are also interested in studying health disparities.
- Admission to WSU’s Honors College and College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Guaranteed admission to the WSU School of Medicine upon satisfaction of the eligibility requirements, as well as successful completion of the B.A. or B.S. degree and MCAT
- Four years of paid undergraduate tuition
- Four years of paid School of Medicine tuition*
- Four years of paid undergraduate room and board costs in university housing
- Cutting-edge research and field experiences with renowned faculty mentors
- Participation in summer enrichment courses
- Participation in specially designed curricular enhancements such as seminars, workshops and hands-on clinical training in the School of Medicine
- Free MCAT and GRE preparation
- Travel to relevant research conferences and symposia
*Subject to the School of Medicine's holistic admission process
Applications for Wayne Med-Direct are due December 1, 2016. Apply for admission to Wayne State using the university application and submit the additional Wayne Med-Direct application. Applicants must also complete a FAFSA by December 1, 2016. For more information about the program and the application process, visit honors.wayne.edu.
- A completed Wayne Med-Direct Application Form (available on this website starting November 16, 2015)
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- Two must be from teachers
- One must be from a community member not affiliated with the student’s high school
- A Personal Statement (the topic for the statement will be available on the application form)
- Admission to Wayne State University by December 1, 2016 (information about applying to Wayne State University for undergraduate admission is available at the following site: http://wayne.edu/admissions/undergrad/)
- Submission of official high school transcripts
- Submission of official SAT or ACT scores (only composite scores will be required for the Wayne Med-Direct Program)
- A Statement of Socioeconomic Status
Applicants must insure that official transcripts, test scores, letters of recommendation and all application documents are received by the due date. Applications received after the deadline will be considered ineligible for admission into the program.
If you have any further questions, please email Jan-Marie Bales, Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (313) 577-1984.
The Wayne Med-Direct program is administered collaboratively through Wayne State University’s Graduate School, Irvin D. Reid Honors College, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, and School of Medicine.