Detroit Fellows Tutoring Project
Tutor. Learn. Earn Credit.
Earn 2 to 4 credits while teaching reading skills to children in kindergarten through second grade who need additional help in Detroit Public Schools.
This opportunity is open to all undergraduate students.
- Attend a training workshop on teaching basic reading skills;
- Tutor in schools between 3 and 7 hours a week for one semester;
- Attend seminars with fellow tutors and the project facilitator;
- Complete several writing assignments about your experience
Detroit Fellows work three (earns 2 credits), five (earns 3 credits) or seven (earns 4 credits) hours per week at their assigned school. The schedule is established by you based on your availability and the number of credits for which you sign up. Tutors work during regularly scheduled school hours: 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
You will work one-on-one and see two to three children in each one-hour time block. You will also be asked to participate in an end-of term evaluation.
How to participate:
Register at http://pipeline.wayne.edu for HON 4930 (CRN 15886) and elect 2 – 4 credit hours, based on your weekly time commitment.
Watch to learn more about the Detroit Fellows Tutoring Project through the perspectives of the program coordinators, Detroit Public School partners, WSU student tutors, and the children in grades K-2 who receive one-to-one reading tutoring through DFTP.
For more information, e-mail email@example.com or call (313) 577-3030.
Detroit Public Schools (DPS) Partner Schools:
Detroit Fellows Tutoring Project currently serves 8 DPS sites:
- Bunche Elementary-Middle School
- Clark Preparatory Academy
- Golightly Education Center
- Harms Elementary School
- Maybury Elementary School
- Roberto Clemente Academy
- Ronald Brown Academy
- Spain Elementary-Middle School